Are you trying to come up with ideas for driving traffic to your website and it seems like everything you try isn’t working. In this post I will give you some great ideas that have worked for me and I am pretty sure they will work for you too.
One of the best ways that you can generate traffic for your website is to create a contest. Contests are great because everyone loves participating in the competition and especially if you are offering some kind of great reward or prize.
Generally, the best way to do a traffic generation contest is to offer a reward for them to refer new people to your website. Obviously, you’ll have to set up some sort of method for recognizing the referrer but here are some tips on actually running the contest once you get it organized and planned.
1. Set a goal for your contest. Know what you’re trying to achieve before you begin. Have your results in mind before your launch day.
If you’re trying to get 1000 new people to visit your site with this traffic generation contest then you will be able to take steps to achieve that goal. If you just have a general goal of getting people to visit your site or increase your traffic you’ll have much less success because you haven’t defined your goals.
2. Advertise it several days in advance. If people don’t know about it they are going to participate in it, and if you only advertise it on launch day you’re only going to get a fraction of the people you would have a few advertise that beforehand.
3. Tell your participants clearly what you want from them. If you’re trying to generate traffic, then tell them that you want them to refer people to your website. If you don’t let people know why you’re running your contest and what you expect to get from it, they aren’t going to know what to do to help you achieve your goal.
4. Finally, give people something really great if they actually do participate in your contest. For example, if you decide that you’re going to give away a prize to the person that refers the most people to your site, then make sure that the prize that you give them is a really great one.
Even if you were giving away a prize for everyone who refers someone to your website, you still need to make sure that the prize is worth it. Obviously, the price for the person that refers the most people is going to be quite a bit larger than the one for people who refer just a single person both should be valuable.
Promoting your website online is terrific (social media) but there are actually are some reasons that you should promote it offline as well. You can get quite a bit of traffic by promoting offline, depending on what your URL actually is and how you advertise it.
Obviously, you need to generate some interest with the way that you’re distributing your URL. When you have the perfect set up, here are five real-world ideas to get the word out there.
1. Put your URL on all of your business cards. Even if you don’t have business cards normally, make up some business cards. If you already have business cards that don’t feature your URL, have some new ones made. The cost will be worth it.
2. Print your message on a few T-shirts and sweatshirts for you and your family members along with your URL and then wear them around town. Again, you need to give them a reason to visit the URL, but if you can do that you will drive quite a bit of traffic to your site from right there in your own city or town.
3. Another thing that you can do along this same vein is to put your URL and your message on the side of your vehicle. In fact, put it on both sides if you can manage it.
This will cost some money and a will mean that you’ll be stuck with advertising on your vehicle for a while but it will be worth it if you can drive a great deal of traffic to your website that will convert into customers.
4. Put your URL somewhere where a lot of people will see it. For example, advertising on bus benches is surprisingly inexpensive for the benefit that you’ll get. In fact, you might even consider a small billboard if you can get a good deal on one. Look for ways to maximize your exposure while minimizing your costs.
5. Set up a referral program. Get people in your town to refer others to your website so that they’ll get a discount or something for free.
In fact, you don’t even need to do it just in your own town. You can have your customers anywhere advertise in the real world and give them a discount or free item when they refer someone. Referral programs are popular among retailers and e-commerce merchants because they work.
Once in a while, you may want to run a promotion on your website in order to attract new customers and to bring back old customers. You probably are very familiar with this, since many businesses do this.
Most of the pizza chains, if you sign up for their mailing list, will email you special promotions that they do once in a while and you can use their example to promote your own deals. Here are five good rules to follow when you’re doing promotions.
1. Don’t do your promotions too frequently. If you’re doing a promotion every week then participating in a promotion or taking advantage of the offer loses its urgency. Make sure that when your promotion goes out that people know it’s a special thing and it’s not going to come around again for quite a while.
2. Design good artwork for your promotions and make it look really professional. If you to send out a text email or make a post about your promotion, it isn’t going to have nearly the impact that a well-designed banner will.
3. Don’t be your promotions to sell them either. If you only send out a promotion a couple times a year people are going to forget all about your company and they Artie would get a know who you are when your email arrives in their inbox.
That could mean that they send you straight to spam in fact it could mean that the email service sends your message to spam once a month or so is a good time frame.
4. If you are doing a sales promotion, enlist other bloggers and offer them an affiliate commissions for anyone that they refer to your site. They will be doing all of the advertising work and you will just be paying them a percentage of sales that you wouldn’t have gotten at all if you hadn’t enlisted them.
5. Finally, don’t run the same promotion every month or every three weeks or however you run your promotion. Make sure that something brand-new every single time.
If it is the same exact promotion that you had in the past, then dress it up completely and make it look brand-new. You may have to find some creative ways to do this because if you’re an e-commerce, you only have so many ways to say come and save money.
If you want people to come to your website and read your content, you are going to have to create headlines that they will be able to resist. If you notice, the websites out there that have consistent viral content, use amazing headlines that you can help but click on and find out what is behind them. Those are the kind headlines that you should be going for. Here are some rules to help you craft the perfect headline.
First, use some sort of number in your headline. Top 10 lists are always popular five ways to do something is also a great way to get clicks. It doesn’t really matter what number you choose, although 10 does seem to get more results than anything else, but always use some sort of number when you make a headline.
Second, use great adjectives. Come up with some great adjectives that will make people want to click on your headline. Words like unbeatable, amazing, astounding and many, many others can all be used to craft a headline that is impossible not to click on. Again, look at Buzzfeed and Cracked to see what sort of headlines they are creating and then do the same thing.
Third, make your headline unique from everyone else’s. Use words that other people aren’t using in your headline. In fact, make your article and your headline is unique as possible because you need to stand out from the crowd not be part of all the other headlines out there. If you are competing against viral sites and using the same headlines you are going to lose. They have more writers, more money and more experience to get traffic to their site so that means you need to stand out as much as possible.
Fourth, a great trick to use is to make an irresistible promise. Of course, you have to follow through with that promise in some way but you can be creative and still make a promise that people are going to want to click on. For example suppose you created this headline: How to Lose Weight by Eating More.
This is a headline that people would definitely click on because people that want to lose weight also want to eat but you could make the article about eating negative calorie foods like celery or any foods that burn more calories eating them than they actually provide.
Current events can be a great way to drive traffic to your website. If you have a blog and you are including current events in a blog post, you might be able to get a small part of the huge traffic that comes with current events. Here are some of the ways that you can use news articles or current events to drive traffic to your site.
1. First, make sure that you are getting the latest current events. You should be signed up for Google alerts or some other type of instant notification when a major news event happens. You want to be writing an article and getting in front as soon as you know about the news event because when you publish matters if you want to be in the first few pages of results.
2. Create a press release type article that includes both some current event or several current events even and some new promotion or product that you are offering. Include both of them in the press release as if they were both news articles and then publish them elsewhere.
3. Start with a newsworthy event of some kind and report on it for the first part of your blog. Make sure that you are getting the keywords in that you need to drive traffic. However, then you can turn the article around and use the current event is some sort of example and turn the attention back to your own product or service or whatever it is that you do on your website. This seems a little misleading at first, but you’ll get the hang of using current events to write your own promotional content without spamming or misleading people.
4. You can also use the comment sections and forums or other places that your active to comment on current events and get a discussion started. You want to make sure, of course, that you are able to direct people back to your website through a link in your signature or your URL in your bio or some other method of advertising your site.
You can generate a lot of attention by discussing current events which could get you quite a bit of traffic coming in to your blog or website and that could convert into real sales. Just make sure your contributing valuable and relevant content and not spamming.
These are only some ideas for generating traffic to you website. These are ideas that I have used and have worked for me. You can also use paid traffic but, if you are just starting out, it could get expensive doing that way. Please remember that by writing great content you will definitely start to rank on search engines and will start to generate organic traffic, which is the best traffic. Doing it this way will take some time but, it will be worth the wait.
Thanks For Reading,